Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Amigo

As all of you know from facebook, we had to put our dog Amigo to sleep yesterday. He will be missed a lot!
We received Amigo right after we got married, he was about 6 weeks old. He was so small, just a little bigger than a hair brush. We raised him, and potty trained him. I remember his cenal next to the bed at night and having to get up in the middle of the night so he could pee. He had this little bunny that he slept with so he wouldn't cry. It was one of those bunnies Artice Circle gives away at Easter time. It was the same size as him! He was in love with Matt, when ever Matt left the house he would stand at the door and cry forever. Amigo kind of dated the dog across the street, her name is Bell. Around Christmas 08 they ended up hooking up! The week of Valentines Day she had a litter of four puppies. We ended up bringing one home. We named him Flint. He just turned one.
A few weeks ago Amigo was crying a lot when ever he moved. So Matt took him to the vet. They said he pulled something in his neck, they gave him some soft food and some pills for pain. It seemed like he was turning around and doing a lot better. He went to his follow up visit and was fine. Then last week some time he did it again. When we came home on Easter Day he was walking funny. The next morning he wouldn't come out of his cenal. So Matt asked me to work with to go outside to go potty. I finally got him out but he was walking like he was drunk, he kept falling over even while he was peeing. I called Matt at work and we talked about it. We decided to take him to the vet again that night. When he called the vet he told them that he thought we needed to put him down. So when we got there they charged us for euthanasta (spelling?). We go in the back and ask the vet to look him over one last time. She said she still thought it was in his neck..... now I didn't go to school and I'm not a doctor, but there is no way she could convinse me that there was nothing wrong with is spine or brain. The exercies they had him do looked like he had a stock. It was the right side of his body that didn't want to work. We asked what we could and she said she could different drugs on him but there was no saying if anything would take the edge off for him or if they would do anything at all for him. Matt and I looked at eachother and knew. We decided to let him go.
We held him while they tried to get a vain, it took forever because he hadn't ate or drank at all yesterday. They poked him like five times. At one point they thought they had a vain and put the medicine in but the vain burst and he had a pocket of fluid under the skin. We asked if that would make his death long and they said no it just relaxed him. Which it did. When they finally got the vain it was fast. He was in my arms and it was so peaceful. They cleaned up and ledt us alone with him for as long as we needed. Matt held him for, it seems like half an hour. We did some paw prints with an ink pad because Matt wants to get a tat. Then we put him back in his cenal and went home. Matt covered it with a blanket and put him in the front room. We didn't have the heart to put him in the garage or leave him in the car.
This morning Matt got up and dug a hole in our back yard by our shed. I decided to put him in a pillow sham that we never have used. It was silky and soft. We took his coller off, so we can frame it, put him in the sham and Matt laid him to rest.
He will always be remembered! He will always be loved! Our house will never be the same!
I find myself calling Flint Amigo. It is going to take some getting use to. Zoe doesn't under stand. She is too young. When Matt talked to her, he told her Amigo was going to go to heaven. She said to him, "but he is not Jesus' dog!" Then when I talked to her yesterday I told her Amigo would not be coming home from the doctors. She did not want us to take him to the vets. This has been one of the hardest things I have had to go through. One thing that is super hard for me, is to see my husband, who is my rock, so upset! Every time he cries it makes me cry.
All will pass, with time we will recover.

2 comments:

  1. Once again, I am so sorry! How hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really sorry. I hope you feel better soon and can just remember the good times.

    ReplyDelete